A2 Licence (A2 Restricted Bikes)
Our A2 training courses for a2 restricted bikes are for
- Anyone 19-23 yrs old wishing to obtain a Category A2 motorcycle licence
You will be able to ride any cc size motorcycle after you have passed your tests, as long as
- It does not exceed an engine power output of 35kw (either by restriction or from it’s normal specification)
- It has not been been restricted to 35kW from a motorcycle that originally had more than 70kw.
After 2 years you can upgrade to a full A licence by retaking your tests.
Our A2 packages are tailored to your riding experience requirements. There are 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 day options depending upon your riding experience. and can come as a package with / without a CBT course and a Theory Test booking.
To find out more and book one of our A2 course options either
- Use our course finder tool by clicking on the BOOK COURSE button and answer the simple questions truthfully
- Under the COURSES menu button select the various A2 course pages (Novice through to Expert) for more information
- Or call us to discuss your requirements for DAS Motorbike training in Berkshire, Hampshire, and Surrey.
We no NOT loan HELMETS, GLOVES OR JACKETS for training. Please ensure you purchase and bring your own. You cannot train nor take your test without these or with inappropriate/un-protective equipment.
- A motorcycle helmet – ECE2205 or ECE 2206 approved (more info on what this means here https://3cmt.co.uk/2022/03/23/what-is-ece2205/), damage-free and correctly fitting
- Motorcycle gloves
- Motorcycle jacket and trousers or at the minimum a heavyweight jacket and strong jeans (no rips). No hoodies, light-weight jackets, tracksuits, ladies leggings or similar.
- Footwear / boots with over ankle protection. No trainers or shoes.
- Waterproofs if it is likely to rain
The A2 Restricted licence is a great opportunity for new riders, minimum age 19 years olds, to get experience riding on the public roads on a mid size machine prior to moving up to pass the tests on big machine to upgrade your licence and buying a larger machine.
The minimum age for category A2 is 19 years and covers medium sized bikes, with or without a sidecar, which have a minimum engine size 395cc with an engine power output not more than 35 kW or 47bhp and a power to weight ratio not more than 0.2 kW per kg. If restricted to meet these requirements the motorbike must also not be derived from a vehicle of more than double its power.
To complete this course you will need to complete a theory test and CBT along with any required training prior to completing both the mod 1 and mod 2 practical tests. On successful completion of the course you will be able to ride a machine up to 47bhp. You can purchase a more powerful machine but it would have to be restricted by a maximum of 50%. You will have a full motorcycle licence allowing you to carry pillion passengers and travel on motorways.
Many potential students this year have questioned whether it is worth completing this level of licence when they have to re-test to upgrade in 2 years. This very much depends on the individual.
- You get a full licence to ride up to a 47bhp machine at 19yrs. Previously you could only ride up to a 33 bhp machine
- ‘L’ plates removed and can carry a pillion
- Use motorways
- As long as you have been riding for more than 2 years on an A2 licence, when you come in to upgrade your licence you do not have to do a theory test again
- Having to retest to upgrade your licence